HAITI

I dreamt the world came to an end yesterday
In my dream there was an earthquake
I saw myself, my eyes dropped at the corners...
And a blind horror in them
Everything was quiet
People ran screaming. Quiet...
Silent. Chaos...
My mouth hung open. Quiet...
I tasted the dust that rose from the ground that shook beneath me
And my nose stung from it
My legs were wide open, my knees were bent forward and my arms were spread far apart
I was poised to keep a balance that would not hold...
I should run but I only adjusted the space between my legs
My vision was infared but I saw the sun shine behind the hill at the horizon
Odd, the sun shone. Bright. But it was dark red, the clouds and the sky
It was the dust
Red dust...
I looked to my bare feet and I saw my bloody toes grip the red sand.
Back up on parallel vision my eyes rolled in my head
I blinked reflexively to focus through the dust storm
The hill, I thought it shook as if to get the sand and grass of its body
But it was collapsing fast and an avalanche swept people running...
Tears filled my eyes. I thought, the world was coming to an end
My arms weakened in my stance and fell to my body
My body weakened in my stance and fell to the ground
And I knelt down
Please dont do this. Not today...
My knees seared from the hot sand and tore from its roughness
And I lay down and begged Him to stop it
The world could not end today
Hell...
I felt hot wind against my lain back
The red hill was coming for me.
My heart failed
I held my breath
I wanted to die

And I woke up crying... "Nightmare.", my alarm clocked whispered, "Shhh. It was just a dream."...

The weatherman predicted a sunshiny day today, and it was. I thought about the people in Haiti - the sun always shines there... The earthquake. The earthquake had rid me of one nights good sleep. But it had rid them, those ones alive, of their lives. And, those ones dead, of their families...

Caffeine

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Electric Wires

Maria DeSanctis

I left my heart with the gondolier on the gondola in Venice!